GGK Adventure Race –
August 3, 2013
For more photos of 2012 race, visit “Growing GreatKids” Facebook page GGK Race Photos link (click on ”Photos” tab, “Albums” & “GGK Adventure Race 2012“)
Bright Futures Begin at Birth!
Our VISION: Every child will receive the nurturing care essential to become compassionate, contributing members of their communities.
Our MISSION: Growing Great Kids supports families as they build healthy, safe environments for the optimal growth and development of children.
What is Growing Great Kids in Southeast Nebraska?
Nothing transforms a home more than the arrival of a baby. All families need support during this transition. For those parents facing additional challenges of being single, young, or low income; support is all the more critical to ensuring that the families grow and thrive.
Growing Great Kids matches trained professionals with pregnant and new moms during the critical early years of their child’s life to promote child development, health, safety, nutrition and stress management.
Growing Great Kids’ Services Include:
- One-time Parent Survey visit to connect families with community resources
- Home visits prenatal up to the child’s third birthday
Home Visits Before Birth focus on . . .
- Encouraging moms to make healthy decisions (i.e. quit smoking, drinking and drug use, and to eat a balanced diet)
- Educating how prenatal health influences baby’s physical and brain development
- Promoting regular prenatal care and child birth education
- Highlighting family strengths and building positive parenting practices
Home Visits After Birth focus on . . .
- Helping parents find healthy solutions to stressful situations
- Building positive, loving relationships with their children for strong family functioning
- Understanding their child’s development and set realistic expectations for behaviors
- Improving safety of families’ homes
- Equipping parents with basic parenting skills and proactive parenting strategies
Enthusiasm for Growing Great Kids
- “I have seen a huge benefit to my families who have been able to take advantage of Growing Great Kids. They seem more confident in themselves and their parenting skills, are more likely to show up to appointments, and seem more able to handle the day to day stress of parenting. Growing Great Kids gives them another safe resource to get their questions answered and their fears calmed. The flow of information between GGK and the providers also allows for better continuity for the families.” -Dr. Stacy Blum
- “I’ve learned a lot. I didn’t know how to be a mother. Growing Great Kids brings mothers closer to their children; it helps you to connect with your baby.” -Angela, mother of two daughters
- “I think Growing Great Kids is a fabulous program available to families ofOtoeCounty. I would love to see it available to everyone! I have seen the program affect so many families in a positive way. It is helping to grow healthy children and informed parents.” -Samantha Barnhart, PA-C
Growing Great Kids in Southeast Nebraska is made possible through generous contributions from St. Mary’s Community Hospital and is coordinated through the Southeast District Health Department. For more information, call 402.274.3993 or toll free at 1.877.777.0424.